Comparison Reports allow you to create reports that compare your sites based on a set of popular categories. These popular categories include population, households, income, and housing as well as customizable reports. Options also include comparing your sites to a benchmark and neighboring geographies.
- Click Reports and click Comparison Reports.
The Comparison Reports window opens, displaying your most recently used custom comparison report, or the Esri Population Comparison report for 2 preselected sites. These are the two sites most recently opened on the map. If there were no sites on the map, the two most recently used sites are preselected.
If any of the selected sites have multiple rings, drive times, or walk times, the smallest one is always selected by default. You may expand the drop down and select a different one. You can also check the Expand rings, drive time or walk time checkbox to view the data for all of them in the comparison table.
- Click the Switch rows and columns button to view the sites as columns and the data variables as rows.
- Click Add variables to add more variables to this custom comparison report (not available for Esri Comparison Reports).
- Click Create new report to create a new custom comparison report.
- Click Export to export the data in the comparison table as an excel file or click Print to print a report.
- Click Chart to view the comparison as a chart.
- In the Chart view, you can move the pointer over any bar in the chart, or any circle on the line graphs, to view ToolTips with the value of the associated variable for that site.
- When variables of different types are selected (number, percent, Index), the number variables are displayed as a bar graph—for example, total population, while the percent and Index variables are represented as line graphs with their own vertical axes. For more information, see Chart.
- To change the chart color for a variable, click on the color thumbnail next to its name on the right and choose a different color.
- Click Print to print the chart.
- Click Export to export the chart data as an excel table.
- To modify the sites selected for the comparison, click Add sites.
The Add Sites dialog opens.
- The Recent tab will be open by default, listing sites you recently created.
- Select the checkbox for the sites that want to add to the comparison. To remove a site, deselect its checkbox.
- Select the Site name checkbox to automatically select all sites in the current tab (not available on the From projects tab).
- Use shift + click to select multiple sites.
- Click to search for sites by name.
- Currently on map- where the sites currently open on the map are listed.
- From projects- where you can add other sites from your current project, your other projects, or projects shared with you by other users.
- Neighboring geographies- where you can select geographies and add them to the comparison table. The geographies available in each are based on the sites currently selected. This step alleviates the need to create geography sites just for comparison purposes. If you want to compare sites to a geography that is not automatically available here, you can create a geography site under Define Areas for Reports > Select Geography, and then select it for comparison. Each geography list is populated based on the sites you have selected. For example, for a point-based site, the County list includes the county where the point-based site lies. For a hand-drawn polygon, all counties that the polygon touches are added to the County drop-down.
- Statistical comparisons- where you can select the Average and/or Median of Sites to add to the comparison.
- When done, click Apply.
The Comparison table or chart will be updated with the data for the updated selection of sites, geographies and statistical comparisons.
Click for a variable to view additional options. You can delete a variable from the comparison, or replace it with a different one. For sites, when you click , in addition to delete and replace you have two additional options:
- Make benchmark - give the site greater visual prominence as the highlighted first column or row.
- Compare with geographies – view a comparison of this site with its associated geographies—for US sites, these are the ZIP Code, County, State and USA. For location based sites, these geographies are determined by the address of the site location, whereas for polygon and geography sites, they are determined by the location of the centroid.
Choosing this option will cause any other selected sites to be removed from the comparison.
You can also compare a site with the associated geographies by clicking Comparison in the site menu, when the site is open on the map.
If you then click Comparison for another site that is open on the map, you will be prompted to choose between (1) simply adding the site to the current comparison report, or (2) comparing this site with its associated geographies.
Create Comparison report
To create a Comparison report you will perform the following steps:
- Click Create new report.
- Enter a name for your Comparison report, and click Create.
The Add Variables dialog opens.Use the Data Browser section on the left side of the Add Variables dialog to browse and search for variables to add to the Selected variables section on the right.
- When done selecting variables, click Apply.
The comparison table will be updated with your selected variables.
- You can click Add variables to add more variables to this comparison report.
- Next to each variable, you can click the options button to delete or replace with another variable.
- If changes are made, the Save button will be enabled.
- Click Save.
The Save Report dialog opens.
- Select Override this report to update the report under the same name.
- Select Save a new report with name, to not modify this report, and save the modified report as a new report.
- Click Save to update the report.
Move the pointer over any saved comparison report to access the following options: rename, share, delete.
- Click to rename the report.
- Click to delete the report (you will be prompted to confirm).
- Click to share the report with others. You can share with all users in your organization and/or select the groups with which you want to share.
The Chart allows you to view a visual comparison of the sites. When toggles are used to select variables of types other than number (Percent, Avg, Index), the number variables are displayed as a bar graph—for example, total population - while the Percent, Avg, and Index variables are represented as line graphs with their own vertical axes. For example, in the following screen capture:
- The Total Housing Units and Vacant Housing Units are numbers, displayed as a bar graph along the black vertical axis.
- The Renter Occupied Housing Units (%) is plotted as a bright green line graph against the vertical axis of the same color.
- The Housing (Index) is plotted as a light green line graph against the vertical axis of the same color on the right side of the chart.
- As the site Address1 has been made the benchmark, the bar graph section for Address1 has a gray background.
- Moving the pointer over a bar on the chart or a circle on the line graph, will bring up a ToolTip with the value of the associated variable for that site. The difference in value from the benchmark site is also displayed in the ToolTip.
- You can use the Add variables and Add sites options in the Chart view. Any variable in the chart can be temporarily removed by deselecting its checkbox in the list on the right. You cannot permanently remove a variable from the comparison on the Chart view, only on the Table view.
In the Comparison table, you can click the options button next to a site, geography or statistical to see additional options.
Click Make Benchmark to give it greater visual prominence as the highlighted first column. This is useful when one of your sites is a standard or point of reference against which you want to compare other sites.
Arrow indicators in each cell, pointing up or down, indicate whether its value lies above or below that of the corresponding benchmark.
The cells are colored according to the color ramp on the right, applied to the range of percent differences between the cell values and the corresponding benchmark value. Click on any color in the ramp on the right to replace it with a different color from the palette and dynamically update the table. Click Save colors to save the set of colors as a ramp under Preferences.
By default, the values here are classified by intervals with equal counts (quintile method). To modify the class break values, click Edit ranges and then click in any of the percent values and enter a modified value. You can also click of the color cells to modify the color. When done, click Back.
Click Chart to switch to a chart view of the comparison. If you move the pointer over the benchmark column on the left, a dotted line will indicate the benchmark value across the chart, with ToolTips for each column displaying the difference in value from the benchmark.
Styling is not preserved, when clicking Export to export the benchmarked table as an Excel file.