Viewsheds are visualizations of what is visible from a given point and are often used in urban planning. Use the Viewshed Creation tool when you want to determine the visible area from an observer point to a point of interest. The tool colors areas that are visible (by default in green) or occluded (by default in red) from the observer. The viewshed object you created can then be managed in the Scene Editor.
- To use the CityEngine tools, ensure the Tool Options window is open by clicking Window > Tool Options in the main menu.
- Not all CityEngine tools have options under Tool Options.
You can open the Viewshed Creation tool the following ways:
- Click the Viewshed Creation tool .
- Click Analysis > Viewshed Creation in the main menu.
Create a viewshed
To create a viewshed, do the following:
- Click a point in the Viewport to create an observer point.
This starts the Viewshed Creation tool , which dynamically displays the viewshed as you move.
- Drag the tool to set the point of interest.
- Click again to anchor the Point of Interest property in the viewshed.
The Viewshed Creation tool includes the following options:
|Horizontal Angle of View (°)|
|Vertical Angle of View (°)|
Adjust the viewshed
You can adjust the viewshed in the following ways:
- In the Viewport, you can drag any of the orange handles to modify the Observer point, Point of Interest, or Angle of View properties.
- In the Inspector, you can edit any of the properties.
The following is a list of the Viewshed Creation tool properties in the Inspector:
Horizontal Angle of View
Horizontal angle of view, or field of view, from observer
Vertical Angle of View
Vertical angle of view, or field of view, from observer
Observer Point X
X-coordinate of observer
Observer Point Y
Y-coordinate of observer
Observer Point Z
Z-coordinate of observer
Camera view angle from -85 to 85 degrees
Camera view angle from -360 to 360 degrees
Distance between observer and point of interest