Esri scene layer packages (SLPK) are custom, web-optimized files that can be shared on ArcGIS Online. For details, refer to https://github.com/Esri/i3s-spec/.
Select the content to export in the Viewport window, and begin exporting. Click File > Export Models > Esri Scene Layer Package from the main menu.
In addition to the general export options, the following options are available for SLPK export:
Instead of writing one package per layer, you can write one package containing the data in all layers. If you chose to merge all layers, the per-layer options are not shown.
Reports generated by the attached CGA rule are written to attribute fields.
The size of the file:
Choose between local and global scene export. Local scenes remain in the coordinate system of the scene, and global scenes are converted to be viewable on the whole globe.
In addition to the global export options, there is an extra export page with the following per-layer options:
Check boxes denote if a layer's contents are exported.
The layer name, as it is set in the CityEngine scene.
If a scene layer created from a CityEngine export doesn't export correctly, consider reducing the size of the SLPK by doing one of the following:
- Choose a smaller extent for export (select fewer objects).
- Fine-tune the texture quality export options (use compact or half-size).
- Reduce the geometric complexity of the models (for example, lower level of detail or less details on streets).
When preparing an SLPK, keep in mind that a scene layer may not run as well (or run at all) on other, less powerful systems (less memory, less powerful graphics card). Reduce the exported extent and .spk file size to ensure wider compatibility.
The SLPK format has a limit on the geometric complexity of a single model. If, after triangulation, a model has more than 127,000 triangles, it may not display in clients.
Publish the SLPK on ArcGIS Online
Upload a file and publish a scene layer.
Upload to ArcGIS Online
Complete the following steps to upload an SLPK:
- Locate the exported SLPK in the Navigator window.
- Right-click the SLPK and click Share As.
The Scene Package dialog box appears.
- Click Upload package to my ArcGIS Online account and name the SLPK.
- Fill in the required fields for Item Description.
- Click Analyze to validate the SLPK for any errors or issues.
You must validate and resolve all errors before you can save the SLPK to disk or share it to ArcGIS Online. If any issues are encountered, an error is reported. You must fix the error before you can continue.
- Click Share to upload the SLPK to ArcGIS Online.
.spk files can be uploaded to other ArcGIS portals as well. See Share data on a different portal.
Publish a scene layer from the SLPK
After uploading the SLPK to ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise, you must publish it to a scene layer. To create a scene layer, do the following:
- In the Navigator window, click Portal > My Content.
- Find the SLPK you just uploaded and double-click it.
Your browser opens with the correct item open.
- Click Publish to create a scene layer.
The title of the package is preset as Scene Title. Change it to only alphanumeric characters and underscores.
- Change the tags if necessary.
- Click Publish.
After waiting for the service to be created, you can open the scene layer.