This guide will show you how to select a ready-to-use starter template and customize it to serve your needs. In the Build your own infographic template guide, you will learn how to build your own template, and take advantage of more advanced options.
- Sign in to Business Analyst Web App. Go to Reports > Build Infographics.
The Esri Templates tab is open by default, and has several ready-to-use starter templates.
- In this example, you will select the Marketing Profile template. Move the pointer over it and click Open.
The infographic template opens in editable mode. Every infographic report template is composed of panels. The Marketing Profile infographic has seven panels—five small panels and two large ones, and each panel can be customized.
- To start with, you will customize the upper left panel with your own company logo. Move the pointer over the upper left panel and click Edit.
The panel is opened in edit mode. You can click in the Title field and customize it. You can also click in the Description field and enter a description. To customize the logo, click Change Image, and upload your own logo image.
- Click Apply.
The first panel will be updated with your changes. You can then click on any of the other panels to replace the content with a different infographic, chart, or other item. For example, move the pointer over the Education Spending panel, and click Replace. From the list of items, click Infographic. You can use the arrow buttons on the left and right to browse the available ready-to-use infographic panels.
- Move the pointer over the infographic for Internet Access, as that would be a good indicator of the potential to market online books. Click Add.
The Education infographic panel is replaced with the Internet Access infographic panel. You can also replace panels with other items like images and charts.
- Going back to the image in step 4, you will now add a chart that has some information about consumer spending habits for purchasing books. Move the pointer over the large Tapestry Segments infographic panel, click Replace, and click Chart.
The data browser opens; here you can perform a search for information about books.
- Use the Shift+click operation to select the first three variables in the search results on the left.
- Drag the selected variables onto the right panel. A chart will be created.
- From the Chart Type drop-down menu at the top, change the chart type to Horizontal Bar Chart. Click Apply.
The Tapestry Segments panel will be replaced by the chart with information on book purchasing habits you created.
- You are now finished modifying your template. Click Save.
The Save Infographic Template dialog box appears.
- Give the infographic template your own custom title, in this case: My Book Marketing Profile. Click Save.
The Infographic Saved dialog box appears with notification that your infographic template was saved. Check the check box to set this infographic as the default infographic in the site details pop-up window (by doing so, you will see this infographic as the default when you request infographics for a site).
- Click OK.
The My Templates tab appears and you will see your saved custom infographic template at the top of the list.
- Click the Maps tab and from the project panel, load a site on the map.
- Click Infographics to view the infographics for this site.If this is the first time you're running an infographic, you will be prompted to save the default infographic (which you may change in the drop-down menu), and the viewer (the default selection is full-screen infographic viewer but you may change it to slide show). Click Save.
The My Book Marketing Profile infographic for the site is displayed in full-screen mode, for the first ring. There are several controls at the top— for example, you can select a different infographic from the drop-down menu on the upper left, change the selection to a different ring from the drop-down menu, fit page, edit, share, export, and print. The chart in the lower right has a switch view control you can click to switch to table view and sort the values.
You can also change this setting under Preferences > Reports > Infographics.
- Click Export infographic.
The Export Infographic dialog box appears. You can export the infographic as one of the following:
- Dynamic HTML
- No web service calls will be made to get Business Analyst data; all the data is already wrapped in the page.
- Maps are dynamic, allowing you to pan and zoom and interact with content.
- All analysis areas are exported at once, meaning you can switch and compare three rings.
- All the capabilities of the infographics viewer— for example, printing and zooming—are available.
Each PDF and Dynamic HTML export uses 10 credits.