ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App can be customized to optimally serve the organization and end user needs.
You must be an administrator to perform the steps in this guide. The Organization section under Preferences in ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App and the capability to create and manage roles in ArcGIS Online, are only available to users with an administrator role.
For example, consider a scenario where your organization's work includes researching sites and acquiring those sites that meet certain criteria. ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App users in your organization will typically have one of two profiles:
- Acquisition managers who primarily view maps, create sites, and run reports.
- Market researchers who perform analyses and create and setup custom data and report templates for others in the organization to use.
As an ArcGIS Online administrator in your organization, the following steps will enable you to:
- Customize the look of the application to better align with your organization’s branding.
- Create new custom roles for your organization’s typical user profiles and assign the new custom roles to users in your organization.
- Customize the workflows, reports and infographics available for each role, to improve the experience of ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App for the two types of users.
- Customize the default attributes included when creating new projects, to specify site attributes relevant to your organization, and eliminate repetitive steps.
Customize the look of the application
- Under Preferences > Organization > App Theme, you can customize the look of the application to represent your organization's branding. You can add your own logo, change the app title, and apply a theme color. Click in the top right to open the Preferences dialog.
- In the Preferences dialog, expand Organization > App Theme. To change the look of the application, select the Customize the app theme checkbox.
- To change the look of the application, select the Customize the app theme checkbox.
- There are the checkboxes you can select to quickly change the look by using your ArcGIS organization's theme color, app title and app logo, but here you will make custom selections. Click on the Theme color thumbnail and choose a theme color. In the App title field, enter a custom title. Click Browse and upload a custom logo.
- When done, click Save.
Create new custom roles and assign them to users in your organization
- Go to ArcGIS Online and click Sign In.
- Enter your username and password and click Sign In. You must use an account with an Administrator role to perform the following steps.
- Navigate to Settings > Roles. Click Create Role.
- In the Role Name field, type Acquisition Manager. Enter a description in the Description field. In the Select a role or template on which to base the new role checkbox, you will select a role to use as the base for the new Acquisition Manager role you are creating. Since a Publisher or Administrator role is needed to fully use ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App, select Publisher as the base.
- The new role will initially have all the ArcGIS Online privileges of the Publisher role selected as the base. You need not modify anything else here, as you will later use the Organization tab under Preferences within ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App itself, to customize ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App for this new role. Click Save Role.
The Notice dialog will appear, confirming that the new role was successfully created.
Repeat the above steps to create a second new role, Market Researcher. Now that the new custom roles have been added, you will assign one of them to a user in your organization.
- Click on the Members tab. For the desired user, under the Role column, click the arrow to bring up the list of roles. Select Acquisition Manager.
The user is now assigned the new custom role of Acquisition Manager.
You can similarly assign either of the new custom roles to other users in your organization.
Customize the app for new custom roles
You will now customize ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App for the two new roles created. Customization streamlines and improves the experience of the app and helps optimize your organization's credit usage by enabling only the workflows, reports, and infographics that different users in your organization need.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App with your administrator account, and open Preferences. You will notice that your custom App Theme logo, title and color are applied.
Expand Organization > App Customization. In the Choose role drop-down list, select Acquisition Manager. Since acquisition managers create sites, view maps, and run reports, they do not need access to Suitability Analysis (an analytical workflow) or workflows to add data or build reports.
- Deselect the Add Data checkbox, the Build Reports checkbox, and the Suitability Analysis checkbox.
- To see how the app will appear to a user who is assigned this role, click Preview Role.
The app will open in a new browser window with this role applied. You will see that under the Maps tab, the Add Data tab is not present.
- To save the changes for this role, Click Save.
Now you will select the Market Researcher role. Users with this role build custom reports and infographic templates, add custom data and layers, and perform suitability analysis. They access sites created by Acquisition Managers to perform analyses but do not create their own sites. You will disable the workflows that are not needed.
- Deselect the Define Areas for Reports checkbox, and the Comparison Reports check box.
- Switch to the Reports and Infographics tab. For Classic reports, users in this role do need access to satellite imagery reports. Uncheck them.
- Deselect the following reports:
- Site Map on satellite Imagery - 0.4 Miles Wide
- Site Map on satellite Imagery - 0.8 Miles Wide
- Site Map on satellite Imagery - 1.6 Miles Wide
- Click on the Infographics tab. Market Researchers do not need access to the At Risk Population infographic. Uncheck it.
- Click Save.
All the updates you made to the Market Researcher role, across all tabs, are now saved.
Customize default project attributes
By default, any new project includes building area, site area, frontage, and parking as site attributes. If your organization uses additional or a different set of attributes-for example, rent, floors, or visibility score, they would need to be added every time a new project is created. To avoid repeating those steps and eliminate the possibility of errors, you can customize a set of default attributes to meet your organization's needs.
- Click through to Preferences > Organization > Project Attributes.
- Select the Customize the default project attributes for the organization option.
- You are able to perform the following:
- Click Add attribute to add an attribute.
- Rename an existing attribute by moving the pointer over it and clicking the Edit icon.
- Delete an attribute by clicking the Delete icon.
- Use the Set validation menu to specify the valid values for an attribute— for example, rent may be from 500 to 500000 while number of floors may range from 1 to 150.
For detailed steps on customizing the default attributes, including setting parameters for validation, see Create Project. Use that as a reference to familiarize yourself with the different variables types and associated options for validation.