The Shelter Locator solution delivers a set of capabilities that help you share shelter locations and promote the current operating status of shelters when an incident or event occurs.
In this topic, you’ll learn how to use the solution by assuming the role of a user and performing the workflows below.
Locate an emergency shelter
You will assume the role of a resident in the community and would like to learn more about available shelters in your area.
Follow the steps below to locate a shelter using the sample data.
- In a browser, go to the Shelter Locator app.
- In the Locate Shelter pane, drag and use the buffer distance slider to set a distance of 3 miles.
The slider allows a user to define a distance once an address is entered or a location is identified on the map.
- In the Locate Shelter pane under Search for an address or locate on map, type 612 W 33rd St, Baltimore, Maryland, 21211.
- In the Locate Shelter pane search results, click on Johns Hopkins Community Physicians at Wyman Park to review shelter information such as location address, hours of operation, status, and contact information.
- In the Locate Shelter pane, click the Directions tab to generate turn by turn directions.
- In the Locate Shelter pane, click the Information tab and review additional information about the selected shelter.
The information in the pop-up varies by location, depending on the services offered by each shelter.