In this topic, you will learn how to configure the Wildlife Management solution to meet specific needs in your organization.
Wildlife Management can be used to capture wildlife observations and monitor the status of wildlife populations in and around protected areas.. In some cases, you may have this information in ArcGIS or another business system already.
Review the layers provided with the solution and determine what source data you would like to load. Then, load your existing data into the layers provided with the ArcGIS Solution before sharing the maps or applications.
Once you have determined what source data must be loaded, complete the data loading workflow below.
Load data from a shapefile or file geodatabase
Data for WildlifeObservations be loaded from a shapefile or file geodatabase by following the steps below:
- Create a .zip file of your shapefile or file geodatabase.
- In your ArcGIS organization, browse to the feature layer you wish to populate.
- On the feature layer item details page, Click Update Data and select Append Data to Layer.
- Under Filename, click Choose File.
- Navigate to your .zip file and click Open.
- Under Contents, select Shapefile or File Geodatabase.
- Click Upload and Continue.
- Choose the layer that you wish to load data into and the layer that contains the updated data.
- Uncheck Update existing features.
- Click Show field matching and map the fields between the two layers.
- Click Apply Updates.
To make additional updates to a hosted feature layer, see Append data to layers.
Updating the animal list
Species diversity varies between protected areas, so it is critical for protected area staff to be able to configure the animal list within the Wildlife Management solution. In the following sections, we will highlight how protected area staff can configure the Wildlife Management solution to match local animal species.
Update the animal choice list in the Wildlife Observation Reporter
To update the animal choice list, complete the following steps:
- Download and install Survey123 Connect.
- Start Survey123 Connect and sign in to your ArcGIS organization.
- Click on Wildlife Observation Reporter to download the survey.
- Click on Wildlife Observation Reporter again to open the survey.
- On the left panel, click Open XLSForm Spreadsheet. A Microsoft Excel spreadsheet will open.
- In the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, click on the Choices tab. This tab comprises all the selectable options for survey questions.
- In the animal choice list, add or remove animal names and labels as needed.
- Save the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and preview your changes in the Form Preview tab of Survey123 Connect.
- In Survey123 Connect, click Publish in the left panel to publish your changes.
The default animal list configuration comes with SVG graphics for each animal. If additional animals are added, you will need to add a new graphic for each additional animal to the media folder of the Wildlife Observation Reporter survey and list the file name of the new image in the image column of the XLSForm.
Update the animal attribute list in the WildlifeObservations feature layer
To update the animal attribute list in the WildlifeObservations feature layer, complete the following steps:
- On the WildlifeObservations feature layer item page, click the Data tab and then click the Fields button.
- Click the Animal field to open the field settings and click Edit under List of Values (Domain).
- Remove all animals from the list using the Delete button and enter the Label and Code for each new animal.
- When updates are complete, click Save.
The animal list in the WildlifeObservations feature layer must be identical (syntax and order) to the animal choice list you updated in the Wildlife Observation Reporter.
Update the Rapid Wildlife Reporter ArcGIS QuickCapture project
To update the Rapid Wildlife Reporter ArcGIS QuickCapture project, complete the following steps:
- Click the Apps button and Open ArcGIS QuickCapture.
- Click the Edit button on the Rapid Wildlife Reporter project.
- To add new animal buttons:
- Select an existing animal button, then click the Copy button in the button pane.
- In the Appearance tab, update the Label of the new animal button with the animal name. Then remove the existing animal image and add your new animal image. Select an existing animal button, then click the Copy button in the button pane.
- In the Data tab, select the new animal name from the Animal choice list dropdown. This will reflect the changes made to the WildlifeObservations feature layer.
- To delete animal buttons, select the Animal button then click the Delete button in the button page. To delete multiple animal buttons at once, hold down the shift key and select the animal buttons.
- To reorder animal buttons, simply drag and drop the animal buttons in the desired order.
- When you are finished making updates, click Save.
After the updates are saved, field users will see an option to update the Rapid Wildlife Reporter project in the ArcGIS QuickCapture application. Selecting update will download the new project updates to their device.