The Measurement widget allows you to measure the area of a polygon, length of a line, or find the coordinates of a point.
For the most accurate results, use Web Mercator for the geographic type of spatial references. For other spatial references or complex polygons, a simplification process will be applied to deal with the distortion caused by spatial projections or complicated polygons.
You may notice a difference in buffer operation from the Near Me widget. This is because the Near Me widget uses a Euclidean buffer (Planar) by default and has an option for a geodesic buffer. The Measurement widget, however, defaults to a geodesic buffer with no other option.
Configure the Measurement widget
This widget can be set to open automatically when an app starts. To enable this feature, click the Open this widget automatically when the app starts button on the widget, which turns it dark green.
- Hover over the widget and select Configure this widget button to open the configuration properties dialog box.
- Sq Miles
- Sq Kilometers
- Sq Yards
- Sq Feet
- Sq Meters
- Nautical Miles
- Click OK to close the window when you're finished.
The configuration window for this widget appears.
The Default Area Unit parameter allows you to configure the unit of measure for polygon measurements. The options are as follows:
The Default Length Unit parameter allows you to configure the unit of measure for line and polyline measurements. The options are as follows:
Use the Measurement widget
Click the Measurement widget icon to open it.
- Click the Point measurement button and click a point on the map.
The Measurement widget displays the coordinates for the point in degrees (decimal). To change the coordinate display format to degrees/minutes/seconds, change the selection in the Degrees drop-down menu to DMS.
- Click the Polyline measurement button .
- Draw a polyline on the map by clicking two or more points.
- Double-click to finish drawing the polyline.
The Measurement widget displays the total length of the polyline using the defined Default Length Unit. To change the length unit, select the applicable unit of measure from the Milesdrop-down menu.
- Click the Polygon measurement button .
- Draw a polygon on the map by clicking three or more points.
- Double-click to finish drawing the polygon.
The Measurement widget displays the total area of the polygon using the defined Default Area Unit. To change the area unit, select the applicable unit of measure from the Acres drop-down menu.