There are two components to Survey123 that you need to install: Survey123 Connect on a desktop to create surveys, and the Survey123 field app on a device to collect survey data.
Install Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS
Download the Survey123 Connect installation file for your operating system: Windows (x86 or x64), Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux from http://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/download/.
Double-click the file to install, and do the following:
- Click Next.
- Choose the installation folder (the default is preferred).
- Accept the license agreement.
- Nominate the start menu name.
- Click Install.
The application files are located in the user folder under \Applications\ArcGIS\Survey123ConnectforArcGIS. On Windows, this would be as follows:
On Mac and Linux, this would be as follows:
Typically you will not edit these files. If you want to uninstall Survey123 Connect, browse to this folder and choose Uninstall Survey123ConnectforArcGIS.
Survey files are located in the user folder under C:\Users\UserName\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs (on Windows), or Home\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs (on Mac and Linux).
Install the Survey123 field app
The Survey123 field app is also available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. To install Survey123 on a desktop, do the following:
- Download the Survey123 installation file for your operating system from http://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/download/.
- Double-click the file to install.
Once the installation is complete, a desktop shortcut named Survey123 for ArcGIS is created. The installation location for all Survey123 files on the desktop is the same as for Survey123 Connect.
Unattended uninstall and install
When you install Survey123 Connect or the Survey123 field app on Windows, Mac, or Ubuntu, you're also provided with script files to help perform future unattended uninstallations or installations. To prepare for these actions, follow these steps after first installing the app, using Survey123 Connect as an example:
- Browse to the location where the app was installed, which, by default, is ~Users\UserName\Applications\ArcGIS\Survey123ConnectforArcGIS.
- Copy the following files to another location on your computer, for example, \InstallScripts:
- When the time comes to install a new version of Survey123 Connect, copy the app installation file to \InstallScripts, and rename the file to a name that will remain constant, for example, Survey123ConnectInstallFile.exe.
Once this location has been established, the .qs and script files don't change. To perform unattended installations and uninstallations, only the installation files will need to change.
If you have multiple apps that are based on AppStudio on your computer, you only need one copy of silent-install-controller.qs and silent-uninstall-controller.qs. Copy only the different silent-uninstall-install-appName script files to \InstallScripts alongside the .qs files.
To uninstall the app using these scripts, browse to \InstallScripts in a command window and enter the following command:
Mac or Ubuntu:
The period at the end is important, as it indicates that nothing will be installed.
Uninstall and install, or install only
To install the app, browse to the folder in a command window and enter this command:
Mac or Ubuntu:
The same command uninstalls all existing versions of the app before installing the new version, allowing you to upgrade the app with one command.