Survey123 can be used with ArcGIS Enterprise, a product that enables organizations to host the capabilities of ArcGIS within their own infrastructure. In most cases, the functionality between ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise is the same, but there are some exceptions. The following describes the specific requirements and behavior when using Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise.
Using Survey123 for ArcGIS with ArcGIS Enterpriserequires an enterprise portal. For information on setting up an enterprise portal, see Getting started with Portal for ArcGIS. To use an enterprise portal with Survey123, you need to set up a unique portal home URL.
ArcGIS Enterprise must be configured with a base deployment. Because Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 predates Survey123, you also need to add Survey123 as a registered application if you're using 10.3.1.
To sign in to your portal in the Survey123 field app or Survey123 Connect, select Settings in the upper-right corner of the app's sign-in screen. All portals that the app has previously signed in to are listed (if you haven't previously signed in to any portals, the only predefined option will be ArcGIS Online), and a text box to enter a new portal's URL is provided. Enter your organization's portal URL, select Add Portal, and select the Back button in the upper-left corner to sign in with your organizational credentials.
Survey123 for ArcGIS can be used with ArcGIS Enterprise configured with a base deployment. Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 and later with a hosting server is also supported; however, Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 has a number of known limitations.
Surveys published to ArcGIS Enterprise incur the following limitations, which are different than those published to ArcGIS Online:
- When using Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1, republishing a survey creates a new feature service but does not delete the old one. The old feature service will need to be deleted manually. This limitation only occurs in Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1.
- Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 cannot use and does not recognize the unique form items for Survey123 surveys. Survey123 Connect will instead use code sample items; these are not recognized as associated with Survey123, but they can be used as surveys without issue.
- Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 federated services are not supported.
- Adding new questions while retaining the feature service is not supported on Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1.
- You cannot publish surveys to ArcGIS Enterprise that use certain reserved keywords as field names, such as end (field names containing these keywords are acceptable, such as endSurvey, as long as they are not exactly the keyword). A full list of these keywords is available in each worksheet type of the Survey123 XLSForm template.
- A feature service published to a portal has a limit of 500 columns, including system fields, meaning that your survey can have no more than 496 questions. The workaround for this is to include a repeat, and set repeat_count to 1 to extend the survey over multiple tables. This limitation is imposed by the enterprise geodatabase, not the portal. For more information, see Enterprise geodatabase size and name limits.
- The name of a question in the survey worksheet must be less than 32 characters in length.
- When ArcGIS Enterprise is deployed in a disconnected environment, survey templates and samples and submission URLs to ArcGIS Online feature services do not work.