There are several options for navigating the map. You can pan and zoom the map using the mouse, or zoom in and out using the zoom tools.
Zoom and pan with the mouse
To begin exploring with your mouse, move the mouse pointer so it is in the middle of the map display. Use the following list as a guide for completing navigation actions with the mouse.
- To move or pan the map, click and drag the map in the direction in which you want it to move.
- To zoom in to a specific area on the map, press the Shift key and drag a rectangle to designate the area of interest.
You can also use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out. Rotate the wheel up to zoom in and rotate down to zoom out.
- To zoom out to a specific area on the map, press Shift+Ctrl and drag a rectangle to designate the area of interest
- To zoom in on the map at the location of the mouse pointer, double-click on the point of interest.
Zoom in and out using the zoom tools
The zoom in, zoom out, and default extent buttons are shown at the lower right corner of the map and allow you to easily zoom in and out.
To use the zoom tools, do the following:
- Click the Zoom In button to zoom in.
- Click the Zoom Out button to zoom out.
- Click the Default extent button to zoom to the default extent of the map.
Find address or place
The Find address or place tool is located at the upper right corner of the map and allows you to type a place-name or location into the text box and place a symbol on the map in that location.
To find a location, do the following:
- Click the Find address or place button .
- Type in a place-name, address, or coordinates. For example, type Esri.
- A list of potential candidate matches appears. Select the one that is the closest match.
- A marker appears in that location on the map. If you typed a generic phrase. such as museum, markers appear on the map based on the center of the map extent, and the map zooms in to those locations.