Filtering a layer provides a means of asking questions about the features of a feature service you have added to the map. When filtering a layer, only the features that meet the criteria specified by the filter are shown on the map. For example, you may want to specify a filter on a layer to display graffiti complaints within a specified district or city. In the ArcGIS Maps Web Part, you can filter a feature service so that only the features that meet the filter criteria are shown. To filter a layer, see the following steps:
- Click the Contents tab to open the Contents pane.
- Select the feature service to be filtered.
- Click the Settings button to the right of the layer name to open the layer menu.
- Click the Filter layer button to bring up the Filter layer pane.
- Create an expression under Match the following expression by changing the drop-down boxes and radio buttons to create your query. For more information on filter expressions, see Building a query expression.
- Click Add another expression to add additional expressions on which to filter.
- Click Add a set to create a query containing AND or OR in the expression.
Apply to update the layer.
The map is updated with the data matching the query set in the Filter layer pane.
- Alternatively click the Clear button to reset the expression back to the default.
- Click Close to exit from the Filter layer pane.