SharePoint lists can contain columns that store the geographic location of each item as latitude and longitude. To geocode such lists so they can display on the ArcGIS Maps Web Part, you add and configure a new ArcGIS Location type column in the list; you can then add the list to the ArcGIS Maps Web Part.
Add an ArcGIS Location field to a list
To add an ArcGIS Location field to a list, do the following:
- Open the list. On the List tab, click List Settings.
The List Settings page appears.
- Click Create column located below the Columns section.
The Create Column page appears.
- Specify a name for the column and click ArcGIS Maps Location.
A new section, specific to creating a location field, appears at the bottom of the page.
- To use a spatial reference other than the standard World Geodetic Survey (WGS) 194, click Choose spatial reference and specify the coordinate system to use and click OK.
- From the drop-down menus, choose the fields containing each item's latitude (y-coordinate) and longitude (x-coordinate) using the drop-down menus, and click OK.
- Optionally specify the default map options.
- Zoom width—Specifies the visible area on the map. For example, if the zoom width is set to 2,000 meters, the map would at country level. If set to 200 meters, the map would display at street level. Can be set in Meters, Feet, Kilometers, or Miles.
- Search Tolerance—Specifies the radius surrounding the currently selected feature (or center of map extent) that delineates an area for locating addresses. Can be set in Meters, Feet, Kilometers, or Miles.
- Map Width—Specifies the default width of the map.
- Map Height—Specifies the default height of the map.
- Click OK.
Once the ArcGIS Location field has been added, the list is ready to be added to the map.