Navigate the map
In this topic
There are several options for navigating the map.
You can pan and zoom the map using the mouse, or zoom in and out using the zoom tools.
Zoom and pan with the mouse
To begin exploring with your mouse, move the mouse pointer so that it is in the middle of the map display. Use the following list as a guide for completing navigation actions with the mouse.
- To move or pan the map, press and drag the map in the direction in which you want it to move.
- To zoom in to a specific area on the map, press the Shift key and then drag a rectangle to designate the area of interest.
You can also use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out. Rotate the wheel up to zoom in and rotate down to zoom out.
- To zoom out to a specific area on the map, press the Shift and Ctrl keys and then drag a rectangle to designate the area of interest.
- To zoom in on the map at the location of the mouse pointer, press twice on the point of interest.
Zoom in and out using the zoom tools
The zoom tools are displayed in the upper right corner of the map. Use the zoom slider or the zoom in (+) and zoom out (-) buttons to zoom in and out on the map.
- Do one of the following to zoom in:
- Drag the zoom slider up.
- Press the plus sign (+) button.
- Do one of the following to zoom out:
- Drag the zoom slider down.
- Press the minus sign (-) button.
Change the map extent
If the overview map or the Home and Previous extent/Next extent tools were enabled, you can use these to change the map extent.
- To pan the map to a different extent using the overview map, do the following:
- Press the Show map overview button in the lower right corner of the map to display the overview map window.
- Drag the gray box over the map in the overview map window to change the extent.
- To hide the overview map, press the Hide map overview button in the lower right corner of the map.
- Press the Previous extent and Next extent buttons to go to the previously viewed or next map extents.
- To return the map to the original extent, press the Home button.
In general, the original extent of the map is the extent of the map set when the map was saved. However, if the Zoom on load check box is checked for any layers in the map, the Home tool returns the map to the extent applied when it was loaded.