If you have an existing version of ArcGIS Maps for Office installed, upgrade to the latest version by running the setup for the latest version. When running the setup, the installation wizard indicates whether it is performing an upgrade or an initial installation.
You do not need to uninstall a previous version of ArcGIS Maps for Office before you upgrade.
After you upgrade the software, all existing spreadsheets and maps created with ArcGIS Maps for Office version 3.x or later are automatically updated to work with the current version. Spreadsheets created with earlier versions (2.x) must be manually updated; for details, see Migrate from an older version.
Migrate from an older version
If you have Excel worksheets that contain maps created with ArcGIS Maps for Office version 2.x, you can easily migrate your worksheets to work with the latest version of the software. When you upgrade ArcGIS Maps for Office, the setup automatically installs an add-in that allows you to update older map-enabled worksheets.
To update older map-enabled worksheets, do the following:
- Upgrade ArcGIS Maps for Office to the latest version.
- Open the worksheet that contains the older map.
The ArcGIS Maps for Office Migration add-in automatically upgrades the map in the spreadsheet.
- Save, close, and reopen the worksheet.
The map is now updated to work with the latest version of ArcGIS Maps for Office.
- Repeat this procedure for other legacy worksheets.
Disable the migration add-in
If you don't have any Excel worksheets that contain maps created with ArcGIS Maps for Office 2.x, you can disable the migration add-in to improve the Excel launch time and reduce memory footprint.
To disable the ArcGIS Maps for Office Migration add-in, do the following:
- In Microsoft Excel, click the File tab on the Ribbon to access the Microsoft Office Backstage.
- Click Options to display the Excel Options pane.
- Click Add-Ins to display the list of available (enabled) add-ins.
- At the bottom of the pane, set the Manage drop-down menu to COM Add-Ins and click Go.
- In the COM Add-Ins window, clear the check box beside ArcGIS Maps for Office Migration and click OK.
Be sure not to disable the ArcGIS Maps for Office add-in.
The ArcGIS Maps for Office Migration add-in is now disabled. You can re-enable it at any time by checking the check mark.