The ArcGIS Maps configuration settings are located in the Microsoft Office Backstage view. To access these settings, click the File tab on the ribbon in Excel or PowerPoint and click ArcGIS Maps.
ArcGIS Maps configuration settings
You can configure the following options using the Backstage view:
- ArcGIS connection—By default, ArcGIS Maps for Office uses ArcGIS Online. To use ArcGIS Enterprise instead, provide the URL to your ArcGIS Enterprise portal instance here. Depending on the security policy of your organization, your web browser may try to block the login page. If this occurs, add the website to the Trusted Sites list in your browser. For more information about working in a disconnected environment, see Work with ArcGIS Enterprise. This setting is available only in Excel.
- Check for updates—Check this box to automatically check for software updates. You'll be notified if a new version of ArcGIS Maps for Office is available. This setting is available in both Excel and PowerPoint.
- Use specified spatial reference when exporting point data—When you export layer data, you can specify the spatial reference system to use, and optionally define that coordinate system as the default for all future export functions. The default setting applies to both exporting to a new file and exporting to a new worksheet in the current workbook. If this is not set, ArcGIS Maps for Office generates latitude and longitude coordinates relative to the current basemap's coordinate system by default. The line below the check box identifies the specified spatial reference. Uncheck this check box to display the spatial reference options pane when you export data. This setting is available only in Excel.
- Fall back to cloud resources—If your organization uses ArcGIS Enterprise, the resources must be installed on the same system as the portal. Check this check box to allow users to work with ArcGIS Maps for Office if the resources are not available on your portal and the user has Internet connectivity. This setting is available in both Excel and PowerPoint.
- Participate in the Esri User Experience Improvement program—Check this check box to provide anonymous information about your system and how you use ArcGIS Maps for Office. Uncheck the check box to opt out of the program. For more information, see Esri User Experience Improvement program. This setting is available in both Excel and PowerPoint.
- Hide confirmation dialogs—In some workflows, you can choose the Don't show me again option on confirmation—for example, when you delete a layer. By default, all confirmation windows appear every time. When you choose Don't show me again in one window, that confirmation dialog box will no longer appear. To reset all confirmation messages throughout the application, uncheck this check box. This setting is available in both Excel and PowerPoint.
Some changes made to the ArcGIS Maps configuration settings in the Microsoft Office Backstage view require that you restart Microsoft Office to apply the changes.
ArcGIS organizational roles and privileges
Organizations use user types to allocate accounts based on the privileges that members need. Members are assigned a user type when they are invited to the organization. The user type determines the privileges that are available to the member. To use ArcGIS Maps for Office, you must have an ArcGIS user type that includes privileges to create, analyze, and share content and own groups, in addition to other tasks in an ArcGIS Online organization or an on-premises ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.
A role defines the privileges that a member has within the organization. ArcGIS defines a set of privileges for various roles. In addition, organizations can define privileges at a more detailed level by creating and assigning custom roles.
For detailed information about roles in ArcGIS, see Organization privileges and roles.