Share a map to ArcGIS
Sharing a map created in ArcGIS Maps for Office to ArcGIS is a quick way to share information with others in or outside of your organization. You can share individual layers or the entire map. When you share a map, a web map is created in ArcGIS. You can also add the map to a PowerPoint slide.
You can only share a map to ArcGIS if you are signed in with an organizational account that has publisher permissions with specific privileges enabled. If you're unsure of your account privileges, contact your ArcGIS organization administrator.
Heat map layers cannot be shared on Portal for ArcGIS. If your map contains a heat map layer, either remove the layer from the map or change the layer's style.
- Sign in to ArcGIS if you are not already signed in.
- On the ArcGIS Maps ribbon, click Share map.
- Specify a title, tags, and description for the map and choose whether to share it with everyone (public), your organization, or any groups to which you belong. These fields are used to display information about the map in ArcGIS and are also used for searching.
- Click Share to share the map to ArcGIS as a web map. Note that publishing can take several minutes depending on the amount of data in your map.
Once the map has published successfully, a message appears at the bottom of the Contents pane along with a link to view the shared map in ArcGIS.
You can update the map and republish it to ArcGIS by clicking Update shared map on the Tools menu and modifying the information you entered as needed.
- Click the link at the bottom of the Contents pane to view the published map. The web map details page opens in ArcGIS. The details page displays the title, tags, and description that you entered previously.
- Click Open to open the map in the ArcGIS map viewer, ArcGIS Explorer Online, or, if installed, ArcGIS for Desktop.