Map your Excel data
Make interactive maps of your spreadsheet data right in Excel. With a few clicks create color-coded, point, clustered-point, and heat maps and gain visual insights about your data.
Analyze your Excel data on maps
Uncover patterns and trends that are not evident in tabular data and charts. Find statistically significant hot and cold spots within your data. Perform spatial searches using drive times or rings to find nearby records of interest.
Enrich your business spreadsheets
Add Esri's demographics and lifestyle data directly to Excel spreadsheets and get more context about the locations that are important to you. Quickly explore locatyions on-the-fly using pop-up infographics.
Share your maps from Excel
Share your maps using either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS, or insert them in emails, PowerPoint presentations, or Word documents.
Esri Maps for Office requires an account that is part of an ArcGIS Online organization and Microsoft Office Excel or PowerPoint 2010 or Microsoft Office Excel or PowerPoint 2013. The supported operating systems include:
- Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
For additional information including the required processor speed, memory, and hard disk space, see the system requirements for Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Office 2013.
Esri Maps for Office version 3.1 was released in June 2015. It includes the following enhancements:
- Localized support for 27 languages:
- Simplified Chinese
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Portugal Portuguese
- Many bug fixes and workflow improvements.
Esri Maps for Office version 3.0 was released in April 2015. It included the following enhancements:
- Visualize your Excel data more clearly by inserting more than one map in your spreadsheet. You can create multiple maps for different tables you have in spreadsheets.
- Compare maps side by side or drag them out to other monitors without cluttering your Excel window.
- Work with the mapped data easily by finding the tools in the map window.
- Leverage the new search tool to find locations quickly.
- No need to be a GIS expert to create beautiful maps. See how your map will look like before mapping the data. Map styles are recommended according to the data you are mapping so you get the best visual insights.
- Use the coordinate system of your choice and easily overlay other GIS datasets that are in your local coordinate system.
- Custom location types now includes line features.
- More help to get new users started quickly and easily.
Esri Maps for Office version 2.1.5 was released in winter 2015. It included the following enhancements:
- Support for secured and unsecured web proxies.
Esri Maps for Office version 2.1.4 was released in spring 2014. It included the following enhancements:
Esri Maps for Office version 2.1.3 was released in spring 2014. It included the following enhancements:
- Support for custom roles.
- New silent install parameters allow for better control over large scale deployments.
- Maps for Office now checks for connectivity to ArcGIS and notifies you when necessary services are unavailable.
- Bug fixes and usability improvements, including:
- Ability to use hosted map services as custom location types.
- Layer visibility issues in localized versions have been corrected.
- Random crashing issues caused by older versions of Visual Studio Tools for Office have been fixed.
- Custom locators are now shown using their name instead of 'Address' in the add data workflow.
- Better registry management on uninstall.
- More efficient storage of geometries returned from ArcGIS.
- When connected to a Portal, requests to ArcGIS Online are no longer made.
- Commas as decimal separators are now handled properly.
- Enriched layers can now be styled and grouped by the newly added columns.
- Popups for enriched layers now display correct column headings.
- When disconnected from the internet, crashing no longer occurs.
- Esri Maps for Office in PowerPoint now honors the organizational default basemap.
Esri Maps for Office version 2.1.2 was released in November 2013. It included the following enhancements:
- Bug fixes and usability improvements, including:
- Enrich Layer tool improvements, such as: more efficient memory usage to handle larger enrichment requests and an improved progress indicator.
- Fixed a bug that caused Excel to crash after installation of Esri Maps.
- Fixed a bug that displayed incorrect images in the Search pane.
- Fixed a bug that caused custom location type lookups to fail in Japanese, Russian, and Chinese languages.
- Cleaned up localized strings for Key Facts, Wealth, Policy, and Health on the Search pane.
Version 2.1.1 was released in October 2013. It included the following enhancements:
- New localized versions for 22 supported languages:
- Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish
- Support for pop-ups in web maps
- Symbolize features using an icon from an attribute URL
- Bug fixes and usability improvements throughout the product, including:
- Improved handling of OAuth logins
- More useful error messages in the Find Hot Spot tool
- Find Hot Spot tool can now handle column names with spaces
- Select tool now supports buffers of size "0"
- Fixed Task Pane issues
- Fixed group visibility bugs
- Improved support for organizations that use SSL for all connections
- Grouping now works properly when using columns added from the Enrich Layer tool
Version 2.1 was released in July 2013. It included the following enhancements:
- Statistical pattern analysis via the Hot Spot tool
- Data enrichment improvements including more data collections and the ability to select individual variables from data collections
- Support for secure sign-in using OAuth+SAML (AGOL)
- Support for secure sign-in using IWA, PKI (Portal Only)
- User interface improvements for Infographics and the Enrich Layer tool
- Improved workflow for upgrading Maps for Office to the latest version
Version 2.0.2 was released in May 2013. It included the following enhancements:
- Enrich your data with geographic context using the new 'Enrich Layer' tool
- Select features on your map and find nearby features within other layers
- Map pop-ups now contain Infographics that provide rich contextual information about the areas surrounding the features in your map
- Preview support for Portal for ArcGIS 10.2
- New configuration options for heat maps and clustering
- Added the ability to filter grouped features on the map by clicking on the class breaks in the map legend
- Improved workflow for address geocoding
- Support for customizing the basemap gallery from your ArcGIS Online organization
- Insert Map uses the default basemap from your ArcGIS Online organization
- Search for data on ArcGIS Online using popular categories such as Wealth, Business, Policy, and Health
- Place names are now based on data location. For example, labels in the geocoding workflow will show prefectures in Japan, states in the United States, and provinces in Canada
- Support for Microsoft Office 2013
- Other quality, usability, and cartographic enhancements