Configure a map-enabled report
To include and configure interactive maps as part of your IBM Cognos report, you must create a map-enabled report in Report Studio and then use Esri Maps Designer, the map configuration application in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, to add data to the map.
It is recommended that you finish configuring the report before configuring your maps.
A map is a spatial document composed of one or more layers. A layer is the way in which Esri Maps for IBM Cognos visually represents geographic datasets. A layer is similar to a legend item on a paper map. For example, on a road map, roads, national parks, political boundaries, and rivers might be considered different layers. When you add data from IBM Cognos to a map, Esri Maps for IBM Cognos creates a layer and displays it in the Contents pane. Once the layer is created, you can configure how it is styled, set its transparency, enable clustering or heat maps, turn on pop-ups, and so on.
Advanced users may want to work directly with the map specification code—either to apply the map specification of one map to another map or to make changes to the map by editing the code directly. For more information, see Edit the map specification.
- In Report Studio, create a new IBM Cognos report.
- In your report, drag Esri Map from the Toolbox tab of the Insertable Objects pane onto the report page. You can repeat this step multiple times to add additional maps.
You may want to change the name of the map component to make it easier to identify when you are ready to configure it in Esri Maps Designer. Select the map on the report page and change the Name value under Miscellaneous in the Properties pane. The default map name is Esri_Map_1. You can replace the 1 with a custom name of your choice, provided there are no spaces in the name (for example, Esri_Map_My_Prompt_Map). The Esri_Map_ portion of the name should not be changed.
For optimal display, it is recommended that your map be 450x450 pixels or larger. You can specify the size of a map by selecting it on the report page and changing the Size&Overflow value under Positioning in the Properties pane. This should be done before configuring the map in Esri Maps Designer.
- From the Launch menu in Cognos Connection, choose Esri Maps Designer to open Esri Maps Designer.
- In Esri Maps Designer, browse to and click the map-enabled report.
- On the Report Configuration tab, click Configure or Edit beside the map you want to configure.
When you are opening a map to edit for the first time, the Configure action will be available. If you have already edited your map, the Edit action will be available. Maps that have been previously edited are marked with a green check mark under Status and have an Edit action available. Maps that have not yet been configured are marked with a red X under Status and have a Configure action available.
If your report has more than one map, you must configure the maps one at a time.
- In the map configuration window, add data to your map and configure it. To get started, see Add IBM Cognos data to your map.
- When you are finished configuring your map, click Save and close from the Save map menu.
- In Esri Maps Designer, click Preview to preview the map-enabled report.
To remove the map or maps from the report, click Reset in Esri Maps Designer, and then open the report in Report Studio and delete the Esri Map components.