This guide will show you how to build your own template from scratch, leveraging several advanced options in the process. See this step-by-step guide to learn how to select a ready-to-use starter template and quickly customize it to serve your needs.
- Sign in to Community Analyst. Go to Reports > Build Infographics.
- You will be prompted to choose a template with which to start. The Esri Templates tab is selected by default, but to design your own custom template click Blank Templates.
You will see several predefined options for a layout. You may select one of them, but in this walkthrough, you will define your own layout.
- Click Create Custom Template.
- You will modify the layout from its default of 2 x 2. Move the pointer over the grid and click to select the 2 x 3 Table size. There are other controls to modify the default size of the elements (panels) in your template. Click Next.
On the next screen, you will modify the template further.
- Click to bring up the Page Options dialog and modify the template's page size, orientation, and margins.
To change the number of columns: Click the button on the right to add and click the button to remove one.
As you move the pointer over the grid lines, the Merge button will appear.
- Click Merge to combine two cells to create a larger cell.
The two cells are merged to create a larger cell.
- Click Save Template.
The Save Infographic Template dialog appears.
- In the Title field, change the name from the default to Quick Facts. Click Save.
Your custom template Quick Facts will be saved and appear at the top of the list of Blank Templates
- Move the pointer over the template Quick Facts to view two options: Select Template and Edit Template.
- Click Select Template.
- Move the pointer over the panel under the top left panel. The Add button appears. Click Add.
A list of elements is displayed, and you may choose anyone to insert into this panel.
- Click Infographic.
The list of available infographic panels is displayed. You may choose one of them, or click Create Custom Infographic to create your own. You want to add an infographic that provides basic information on the education level of residents in the area.
You may use the arrow buttons on the left and right to browse the available ones until you see a suitable infographic . Alternatively, since you are looking for something specific, you may just click the button and perform a search. Type education in the search box and click . The Education infographic is returned in the search results.
- Click Add Education
The EDUCATION infographic is added to the panel.
- Click Add for the larger panel.
- Click Chart.
The data browser opens. Perform a search for variables related to book. Drag and drop six variables that convey useful information on book purchasing habits.
- To customize the chart further, click Chart Options.
The Chart Options will open.
- Click the + button next to each variable to choose an icon. Here, you will click Choose image to upload your own custom icons. When finished, click Data Labels to view that section's options.
- Click Bar Chart to expand that section's options.
- Select the Show Bar icons checkbox. This will allow you to add icons for each variable on the vertical axis of the horizontal bar chart.
- You may click the + button next to each variable to choose an icon. Click Choose image to upload your own custom icons
- When finished, click Data Labels to view that section's options.
Tip:You can use several image formats (e.g. PNG) for custom infographics. You can also upload your own custom SVGs. The benefit of using SVG graphics is that they scale well and their style and color can be customized with the rest of the infographic.
- In the Data Labels section, select the Show Data Values checkbox to show the value to the right of every bar in the chart.
- Under the Vertical Axis section, uncheck the Show Ticks checkbox, to hide the little ticks on the vertical axis for a neater appearance.
- Under the Horizontal Axis section, uncheck the Show Axis checkbox to hide the horizontal axis altogether.
Since you already selected Show Data Values under Data Labels, you will no longer need the horizontal axis; removing it gives your chart a cleaner look.
- Under the Chart section, enter a name for your chart in the Title field. In this case, Book Sales Trends. Click Font... to modify the title text font, size, and attributes. Click Apply.
The chart is added to the larger panel in your infographic template.
- Move the pointer over the lower left panel. Click Add, and select Infographic.
This will launch the Add Infographic window.
- Click Create custom infographic.
- In the Data browser, perform a search for book. Select the desired variables, and click Next.
The Infographic Properties window will open.
- Click the + buttons to upload icons for each variable. When finished, click Save.
The Save Infographic dialog appears.
- Modify the Title, if desired.
- Click Show Infographic Metadata to edit metadata fields.The resultant dialog is displayed. When finished modifying the information in the other fields, click Save.
Your custom Infographic is saved under the My Infographics tab.
- Move the pointer over your new infographic. Click Add.
Your custom infographic gets added to the template.
- Move the pointer over the logo element. Click Edit.
- In edit mode:
- Click Change Image to upload your logo.
- Enter a title and description.
- Click More Options to edit additional properties.
- Click Add Field and selct Site Address in place of the default name to edit the Subtitle
- Click Apply.
- Choose an infographic for the last remaining panel on the lower right. Click Add.
- Click the button on the upper right to quickly customize some of the colors and other aspects of the template's theme.
- Click on the Background color thumbnail, and change its color to light yellow.
- Click on the Highlighted icon color thumbnail, move the pointer over the color brown, and click to select it.
On the right side, you can see a preview how the selected colors will change the appearance of your custom infographics template.
- Click Save Theme & Apply.
The Save Theme dialog appears.
- Give this theme a name and click Save.
- Your custom infographic template is now complete. Click Save.
The Save Infographic Template dialog appears. You may click Show Infographic Metadata to modify additional fields (optional).
- When done, click Save.
The template will be saved, and a confirmation dialog will be displayed.
- Inside the Infographic Saved dialog, select the Set this as the default infographic in the site details popup window check box. Click OK.
The custom infographic template will be saved under My Templates.
Now let's user our new template in an infographic report.
- Go to the Maps tab, and from the Project panel, load any site on the map which can be used as a book store site. On the site details popup window, click Infographics.
Your custom infographic report Book Sales and Relevant Information will be displayed.
- Click Export.
You may now export the site infographic as an html file or an image.
- Choose HTML from the Export as dropdown. Click Create HTML.
Note:The Edit Template option is not available for the predefined templates.