Build reports allows you to create custom report templates that you can use, run and share with others in your organization. Create report templates using Esri reports, reports you've created, shared reports from others in your organization and variables from the Data Browser. You can customize your reports by adding charts, images and text.
You can view the story map for a detailed walk through.
To access Build Reports, click the Reports tab and click Build Reports.
Build reports in three steps
The three step process described here provides the basics for building a report template. You can add report sections and variables and save the template. Advanced options are described in the next section.
In the list below, browse the reports you've created, reports shared by others in your organization and Esri reports. Click the report that you want to use.
The report appears in step 2 below.
To use variables in your report, click the Select Variables tab.
Using the Data Browser, you can browse variables and drag them to the right to add them to the report template in step 3. You can also add site attributes that you may have customized when you created the project.
Click and drag sections of the report from step 2 to the report template on the right in step 3. Continue until you've selected all of the sections you want in the report template.
There is a limit of 100 inches or 10 letter sized pages. If the limit is exceeded, you can't add more content.
You can copy and paste the entire report from step 2 in to step 3. Click Copy the whole report.
The entire report appears in step 3.
Click Save and name your report. Your report appears in step 1 under My Reports.
Here are some features to help you while working with build reports.
- Find / Replace allows you to find and replace text in your report.
- Use undo and redo.
- Double click the logo to change it.
- Use Remove to remove a section.
- Use Split Table to split the table in a section.
- Use Create New to clear your report. If you click Create New and have not saved your changes, the changes will be lost. A pop-up appears with the option to save them.
- Click View Tutorials to access videos for building reports.
Advanced options for building reports
Once you've created the report template, you can customize your report by adding charts and inserting images. You can edit the chart types, customize the colors and layout and create a series for your variables in the Chart Properties dialog box.
Select Reports tab
You can share, edit and delete reports in My Reports. Hover the pointer over the report name and the icons appear.
Options for sharing may vary depending on the security and roles of your organization. Once shared, these reports can be found in ArcGIS Online > My Content > Report Templates.
Create report template
As discussed in step 3 above, once you've selected report sections, you can work with the report template on the right using the Preview, Sample Values and Edit buttons.
Click Preview to preview the report you've created. The report formulas are shown.
Click Sample Values to view a sample report. The report shows sample values.
Click Edit to make adjustments and insert items into your report template. When the report is in Edit mode, you can make changes to the design and layout of the report. For example, you can adjust the table alignment, add additional rows and columns, change the font and report style and insert images. When in Edit mode, here are some editing options:
Click Section Options to change the horizontal lines between each section.
Click Table Properties to edit the table size, type and position. You can choose from different table types:
General Data — Use to enter individual variables in to a table.
- Column count is the number of columns.
- Scale to fit width of section extends the table to fit the width. This is checked by default.
- Scale to fit height of section extends the table to fit the height of the section.
Multi-Ring Table — Use this to display data for multiple ring sites side-by-side in a single page. For example, you can compare data for three rings around a site on a single page.
- Fixed columns adds the first columns of the table. You can add the variable name and description and enter the name or description in the cell.
- Dynamic columns are assigned to each ring. Each ring will have the same number of dynamic columns.
- The ring count is the number of rings and is a maximum of three.
- Row count is the number of rows.
- Scale to fit width of section extends the table to fit the width of the section. This is checked by default.
- Scale to fit height of section extends the table to fit the height of the section.
The table below shows the results of the selections in the Table Properties dialog box above.
Styling and calculation tools
Use Style Cell, Add Variable, Calculate Totals, Calculate Column, Create Chart and Modify Table to create custom variables for your report template.
To access the styling and calculation tools, click on a section, while in Edit mode, and the wrench icon appears. Press Ctrl or Shift to select multiple sections.
Style Cell — Edit styles and add a hyperlink for your template.
Add Variable — Select a single cell in the template to build a custom variable or add your saved custom variables from My Data.
- Build Custom Variable — Create a custom variable using data from the Data Browser. Drag variables from step 1 to step 2 and use the operators to create a custom variable. See create custom variables for use of operators.
- Add from My Data — Add your saved custom variables.
Calculate Totals — Select multiple cells in the template to calculate the totals.
- Sum Cells — Select the cells that you want to sum. The calculation appears in the cell below.
- Add Average — Select the cells that you want to average. The calculation appears in the cell below.
Calculate Column — Select multiple cells in the template to add columns.
- Add New Percentage Column — Calculates percentage values for all selected cells in the column. The results appear in the new column on the right. This is enabled for variables with %.
- Add New Average Column — Calculates average values for all selected cells in the column. The results appear in the new column on the right. This is enabled for variables with Avg.
- Add New Index Column — Calculates index values for all selected cells in the column. The results appear in the new column on the right. This is enabled for variables with Index.
- Add New Margin of Error — Calculates the Margin for Error values for all selected cells in the column. The results appear in the new column on the right. This is enabled for ACS data with Reliability.
- Add New Reliability Column — Calculates the reliability values for all selected cells in the column. The results appear in the new column on the right. This is enabled for ACS data with Reliability.
Create Chart — Select the cells to create a chart for your template.
Modify Table — Cells, rows and columns can be added or deleted.
Use the options in the drop-down menu to customize your report template.
You can choose from:
- Chart — Create a chart in a cell. Click Chart to access the Chart Properties dialog box where you can use the options in the Variables tab to customize your chart.
- Chart from Selected — Selected variables will be used to generate the chart. The chart will be added below the variables. Click Chart from Selected to access the Chart Properties dialog box where you can use the options in the Variables tab to customize your chart. Click Apply.
- Chart in Cell — Create a chart in a selected cell. Click the cell to access the Chart Properties dialog box where you can use the options in the Variables tab to customize your chart. Click Apply.
- Image Floating — Insert an image. Move the border to adjust the size of the image. You can move the image for your preferred placement within the section.
- Image in Cell — Insert an image in the selected cell.
- Map — Insert a map e.g. the location of your site, or a web map such as one of all competitor locations.
- Page Break — Insert a page break. This can be useful in creating separate pages when printing.
- Table — Insert a table. Choose from different table types in Chart Properties.
- Text box — Insert a text box in the selected cell.
The Chart Properties dialog box is accessed by selecting Chart, Chart from Selected and Chart in Cell from the Insert item drop-down menu. The Chart Properties dialog box contains the Choose Variables tab and the Chart Options tab.
Choose Variables tab
The Choose Variables tab opens the Data Browser where you can browse the variables. Drag the variables you wan to use to the Variables section on the right.
Press Shift and click on the variables to select multiple variables.
As you drag the variables under step 1 to the Variables section in step 2, a chart appears and a series is created.
Here are some features to help you while working with the variables in step 2.
Drag the variable to reorder.
Click on the chart type icon to change the chart type.
Double click the series name to change it.
Click to add other series.
Chart Options tab
In the Chart Options tab, you can customize the chart using the features described below.
- Chart — The chart section allows you to create a chart title and title alignment, select the background color, font and add and remove the background image.
- Data Labels — Show and hide data labels, data values and data percents. You can set your decimals, with a maximum of 10, and select the font.
- Horizontal Axis — Change the horizontal axis of your chart or graph.
- Vertical Axis — Change the vertical axis of your chart or graph.
- Grid Lines — Adjust the horizontal and vertical grid lines and center them.
- Legend — Show and hide the legend and border, change the offset percentage and edit the font. You can also change the position of the legend.
- Column Chart — Adjust the column thickness.
- Chart Type — Click on the image to change the chart type.
Change year labels for data updates
When the data is automatically updated, you will need to update the year labels for your report templates. If you've created custom variables, the year labels need to be updated to match the updated data.
As an example, your year label is 2016 but the data is 2017.
If updates are needed, the Data Update Notification dialog box, to update the year labels click Update Reports Now. If you don't want to update the reports now, click Update Reports Later.
- In the Data Update Notification dialog box, click Update Reports.
- In the Update Custom Reports dialog box, the reports that need to be updated appear with the caution icon. Use the following buttons to update the year labels.
- Update This Report Later — This allows you to update the report at another time.
- Leave This Report As Is — The report will not be updated and the year labels will not be changed. Once you've clicked, a confirmation dialog box appears. Click OK to leave it as is. If the report is left as is, it can't be undone.
- Update This Report — Updates to the highlighted report.
- Update This & Remaining Reports — Updates the highlighted report and all reports in the list.
When a report has been updated, the caution icon changes to a check.
To make other changes, use Find/Replace.