Using Community Analyst, you can create custom Infographic templates for analysis of your sites.
With Community Analyst you have a new way to visualize key indicators and information in the form of beautiful infographics. Infographic reports can be created from a set of ready-to-use templates, or you can build your own templates to create graphical reports. These visually compelling reports can contain charts, graphics, tables, images and text that can be styled to make them more engaging.
Infographic report templates
Below, are the templates that are available to you.
These are predefined templates that you may use as is, or as a starting point to modify and customize. For example, the Demographic Summary template is already populated with relevant content such as infographics on education, a chart on household income and more. You may simply add your custom logo and save it for use or edit the content to customize the template according to your needs.
See the Step-by step guide on modifying an Esri template to create your own custom template.
These are blank templates to which you can add you custom logo and add your infographics, charts, graphs, tables and other elements. There are two types of blank templates with which you can start.
Templates with grids
These are blank templates that have predefined suggested layouts for a logo and rows of columns. Click on one of the thumbnails to get started, or, click Create a custom template with grids to define your own custom grid layout. For more details, see this step-by-step guide, which uses a template with grids as the starting point.
This is a blank template with no predefined layout. Click Create a free-form template to get started. You can then add your custom content in the form of floating panels i.e. panels which can be placed anywhere on the template and moved around as needed.
Click to add floating elements such as images and shapes, to appear above or behind the panels in the template.
The templates you save can be accessed here. To edit a template again, move the pointer over it, and click the Edit Template button.
Templates that others in your organization created and have shared with you are listed here. To save a template, move the pointer over it, and click the Save As button. Once saved, the template will be available to you under My Templates.
Step-by-step guide: Customize a ready-to-use template
To quickly familiarize you with custom infographics, this guide will show you how to select a ready-to-use starter template and customize it to serve your needs. In another guide, you will learn how to build your own template, and take advantage of more advanced options.
- Sign in to the Business Analyst web app. Go to Reports > Build Infographics.
The Esri Templates tab is open by default, and has several ready-to-use starter templates.
- In this example, you will select the Marketing Profile template. Move the pointer over it and click Open.
This opens the infographic template in editable mode. Every infographic report template is composed of panels. The Marketing Profile infographic has seven different panels - five small panels and two large ones and each panel can be customized.
- To start with, you will customize the top-left panel with your own company logo. Move the pointer over the top-left panel and click Edit.
The panel is opened in edit mode. You may click in the Title field and customize it. You may also click in the Description field and enter a description. To customize the logo, click Edit Image, and upload your own logo image.
- Click Apply.
The first panel will be updated with your changes. You can then click on any of the other panels to replace the content with a different infographic, chart or other item. For example, move the pointer over the Education Spending panel, and click Replace. You can even replace it with a panel from another template by clicking Add panel from another template. Here, we will choose another available infographic element. Click Infographic. You may use the arrow buttons on the left and right to browse the available ready-to-use infographic panels.
- Move the pointer over the infographic for Internet Access, as that would be a good indicator of the potential to market online books. Click Add.
The Education infographic panel gets replaced with the Internet Access infographic panel. You can also replace panels with other items like images and charts.
- Going back to the image in step 4, you will now add a chart that has some information about consumer spending habits for purchasing books. Move the pointer over the large Tapestry Segments infographic panel, click Replace, and then click Chart.
This will open the data browser where you can perform a search for information about books.
- Use the shift + click operation to select the first three variables in the search results on the left.
- Drag and drop the selected variables to the right panel. A chart will be created.
- From the Chart Type drop-down menu at the top, change chart type to Horizontal Bar Chart. Click Apply.
The Tapestry Segments panel will be replaced by the chart with information on book purchasing habits you created
- You are now finished modifying your template. Click Save.
The Save Infographic Template dialog is launched.
- Give the infographic template your own custom title, in this case: My Book Marketing Profile. Click Save.
The Infographic Saved dialog appears with notification that your infographic template was saved. Select the checkbox to set this infographic as the default infographic in the site details popup window (by doing so, you will see this infographic as the default when you request infographics for a site).
- Click OK.
The My Templates tab will be opened and you will see your saved custom infographic template at the top of the list.
- Click the Maps tab and from the project panel, load a site on the map.
- Click Infographics to view the infographics for this site.If this is the first time you're running an infographic, you will be prompted to save the default infographic (which you may change in the drop-down menu), and the viewer (default selection is full screen infographic viewer but you may change it to slide show). Click Save.
The My Book Marketing Profile infographic for the site is displayed in full screen mode, for the first ring. There are several controls at the top. E.g., you may select a different infographic from the drop-down menu on the top left, change the selection to a different ring from the drop-down menu, fit page, edit, share, export, and print. The chart in the lower right has a control you can click to switch to table view and sort the values.
You can also change this setting under Preferences > Reports > Infographics.
- Click Export infographic.
The Export Infographic dialog box opens. You may export the infographic as:
- Dynamic HTML
- No web service calls will be made to get Business Analyst data; all the date is already wrapped in the page.
- Maps are dynamic allowing you to pan and zoom and interact with content.
- All analysis areas are exported at once, meaning you can switch and compare 3 rings.
- All the capabilities of the infographics viewer (e.g. printing and zooming) is available as well.
Each PDF and Dynamic HTML export uses 10 credits.
Create your own custom infographics template.
Community Analyst includes a new way to visualize key indicators and information in the form of beautiful infographics. Infographic reports can be created from a set of ready-to-use templates, or you can build your own templates to create graphical reports. These visually compelling reports can contain charts, graphics, tables, images and text that can be styled to make them more engaging.
Say that you are an analyst for a leading chain book store, and have been tasked with creating an infographic template that executives at your company can use to get quick facts for their stores, or their competitors, focusing on relevant demographic characteristics and book reading/purchasing habits.
To get started creating your own custom infographics template follow this step-by-step guide: Building your own infographics template.