A role defines the privileges that a member has within an organization. Esri defines members of an organization as a User, Publisher, Administrator or custom roles. Each of these roles has different privileges that are defined by your organization's administrator. For more information, see Organization roles.
You will need a Publisher or Administrator role to fully use the Business Analyst web app, as it uses a Projects-based structure to help manage and organize your data more efficiently. All your content must be stored in a Project, and to create a new Project you must have a Publisher or Administrator role. If you currently have a User role, we recommend that you request that your Administrator to grant you a Publisher role.
With a User role, you will only be able to proceed to use the application by accessing a Shared Project— in other words, a project shared with you by other users. See Projects shared with you.
Different Roles have different levels of access to functionality in the Business Analyst web app:
- Users with a Level 1 ArcGIS membership will not be able to access the Business Analyst web app. To be assigned a Business Analyst web app license, users will first need to be assigned a Level 2 ArcGIS membership.
- Users with an ArcGIS public account will not be able to access the Business Analyst web app.
- Users with User role are not able to create new projects, and are only able to use the features and functionality in the Business Analyst web app by accessing Projects shared with them by other users, and there are still some limitations. It is recommended to request a Publisher role from the Administrator to fully use the application.
- The Publisher can fully use the Business Analyst web app. The easiest way to enable users that currently have a User role to fully use the application is to grant them a Publisher role.
- The Administrator role can fully use the Business Analyst web app.
- Custom roles: these must be defined by the Administrator of the Organization. To use the Business Analyst web app, a Custom role must have access to certain premium features, which are needed to use the complete functionality and features of the Business Analyst web app:
In ArcGIS Online, Administrators may set up custom roles with any combination of privileges. To have a full access of the Business Analyst web appusing a custom role, all the privileges shown below must be included in that custom role.
To enable non-administrator users in your organization to collaborate on a shared project, you must grant them a custom role that includes the Update privilege, without which they will not be able to add or modify items in the shared project.
Sign in to ArcGIS Online. To assign and manage Business Analyst web app licenses for members, click Organization at the top of the page, and click the Licenses tab.
To assign and manage licenses for members in your Organization, you must be signed in as an administrator of your organization with licensing privileges. If you do not have an Administrator role, you must request an Administrator in your Organization to assign or modify your license for the Business Analyst web app.
Click on Additional Products. Under ArcGIS Business Analyst, you can see how many of the available licenses have already been assigned to members in your organization— for example, in the instance below, out of 100 available Business Analyst web app licenses, 22 have already been assigned.
Under Members, you can see a list of members in your organization, with columns for Name, Username, Level and Licensed for. To find a member, you can also filter the list by member level, or perform a search. In the row of the member you want to manage, click the link under the Licensed for column.
The licensed products for that member will be displayed. To assign a license for the Business Analyst web app, the checkbox for ArcGIS Business analyst must be selected. Click Update to apply the changes you made.