Available with Business Analyst license.
The installation process copies the necessary files to your machine so you can work with the Business Analyst Server software. Before installing the 2018 data, close all applications on your computer and verify that your computer meets the system requirements.
Business Analyst Server 10.4, or later, is required to install the 2018 Data Update. Earlier versions are not supported.
Downloading and installing from My Esri
Each 7-Zip file size is around 10 Gb. Make sure you have about 100 Gb of free space on the disk where these files will be downloaded and another 120 Gb on the disk to where the data will be extracted. Once extracted, you will begin the installation process. If they go to the same disk, then you are going to need another 120 Gb of free space on that disk. After you finish installation of the data, you can delete approximately 220 Gb of setup and 7-Zip files.
The 7-Zip open source program is required to extract and automatically reassemble the Business Analyst Data file archives. You will need to install 7-Zip to extract the necessary files from the downloads. Current 7-Zip users will want to install the latest version - ensuring a more efficient extraction process. You may download 7-Zip from the official site: http://www.7-zip.org/.
- On the My Esri site, click My Organizations and click Downloads.
The Esri Download Manager web page appears.
- Verify that you are in the Products section. Enter Business Analyst or Business into the Quick Search text box.
A list of Business Analyst products will be shown under the Products heading.
- Look for ArcGIS Business Analyst Server with 2018 U.S. Data and ensure the version is 10.7. Click View Downloads.
- Within the Download Components tab, click Data and Content to expand the list of files.
For the 2018 US Data Update there will be ten files. Each will need to be downloaded to a folder on your local drive.
- Beside the first file, #1 ArcGIS Business Analyst Server 2018 Data (U.S.A.), Click Download.
The Download Manager window is launched.
- Click Click to download your file now.
Note:Depending on your browser you may be prompted to select a location to where you want the file downloaded.
- Repeat the process for the remaining nine files.Your folder will contain the following files:
- Right click ESRI_BA_Server_2018_US_Data.7z.001 and click 7-Zip > Extract Here.
You will only need to extract from the first compressed file (ESRI_BA_Server_2018_US_Data.7z.001). The extraction process automatically extracts and reassembles Files 001, 002, 003, 004, ... and 010 to create a full 2018 Data Update setup. Do not attempt to extract Files 002, 003, 004, ... or 010.
Once the files are extracted you will have a folder called ESRI_BA_Server_2018_US_Data that will contain a setup installer and all accompanying files.
- Run the setup installer from ESRI_BA_Server_2018_US_Data folder to install the data components. As you click through the install process you will be presented with
two installation options:
- Typical - This is the default installation, which will automatically load all Business Analyst data components to your local hard drive to a default location, C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2018\Data
- Custom - The Custom option is recommended for users with limited disk space on the local hard drive where ArcGIS Desktop is located or for those who do not need to install all the data components. This option allows you to select which data components you wish to install and where you want to install them. You can also choose to not install any data components, and run Business Analyst from the USB media or from a network location.
The following is a list of Business Analyst components and their approximate sizes:
Streets Data Fast Map
Geocoding Data for ArcGIS Pro
ZIP4 Geocoding Data
Installing from a thumb drive
If installing directly from a USB drive you will follow the directions above - starting from step 7.
Alternative installation method for Windows 10 users
Windows 10 users experiencing intermittent installation issues may employ an alternative approach to installing the 2018 Demographic Data update. This method uses Command Line and requires a few additional steps of set up but will complete the installation more quickly than the standard process.
To employ this process, please follow the steps below:
- Create a new folder on your C: Drive titled 2018_Data.
- Download the data to this folder and unzip.
- Ensure that your C: Drive contains a Temp folder. This folder is where the log file will be created and stored. If there is no Temp folder here you will need to create one.
- In the Search Windows search box, enter Command Prompt or cmd.
The search box is located on the far left side of the task bar.
- Right-click on Command Prompt in the results list and select Run as administrator.
The Administrator: Command Prompt window is launched.
- Enter the following command:
start /wait msiexec /i "C:\2018_Data\Unpacked\setup.msi" /qn /norestart /Lv C:\Temp\datalog.log
This command will be installing the full 120 Gb of data and therefore may run for several hours.
- Click Enter to initiate the installation process.
When the processes are finished, the Business Analyst MXDs will be added to your Desktop.
USA address locators
Included in the USA 2018 data update for Business Analyst Server are address locators. The files that support the address locators can be found, after installation, by navigating to C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2018\Data.
The Business Analyst Server service is optimized to work with the USA Composite address locator (USA.loc), which can be found in <install location>\Data\Geocoding Data. A new address locator can be found by navigating to <install location>\Data\Geocoding Data for ArcGIS Pro.
Currently, the Geocoding Data for ArcGIS Pro locator is not supported by Business Analyst Server. To use this locator in an ArcGIS Server Geocode Service, you will need to activate your Business Analyst for ArcGIS Pro license. Below, are steps for how to publish the new locator as a Geocode Service using ArcGIS Pro.
To publish the new locator as a Geocode Service, use the following steps:
- On the Insert tab, in the Project group, click Connections and then click Add Locator .
- In the Select Existing Locator dialog box, browse to: C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2018\Data\Geocoding Data for ArcGIS Pro
- Click USA.loc locator, then click OK.
A Locators folder appears in the Catalog pane.
- In the Catalog pane, click to expand the Locators folder and click USA to highlight the locator.
- On the Share tab, in the Share As group, click Locator then click USA.
- In the Share Locator dialog box, fill in the required fields and click Publish.