Available with Business Analyst license.
The installation process copies the necessary files to your machine so you can work with the Business Analyst Desktop and Business Analyst Server software. Before installing the 2018 data, close all applications on your computer and verify that your computer meets the system requirements.
A minimum of Business Analyst Desktop or Server 10.4 or newer versions are required to install the 2018 Data Update. Business Analyst 10.3.1 or earlier versions are not supported.
Downloading and installing from My Esri
Each 7-Zip file size is around 10 Gb (ESRI_BA_2018_US_Data_Update.7z.006 is about 4 Gb). Make sure you have about 60 Gb of free space on the disk where these files will be downloaded and another 75 Gb on the disk to where the data will be extracted. Once extracted, you will begin the installation process. If they go to the same disk, then you are going to need another 75 Gb of free space on that disk. After you finish installation of the data, you can delete approximately 135 Gb of setup and 7-Zip files.
The 7-Zip open source program is required to extract and automatically reassemble the Business Analyst Data file archives. You will need to install 7-Zip to extract the necessary files from the downloads. Current 7-Zip users will want to install the latest version - ensuring a more efficient extraction process. You may download 7-Zip from the official site: http://www.7-zip.org/.
- On the My Esri site, click My Organizations and click Downloads.
- Verify that you are in the Products section. Enter Business Analyst or Business into the Quick Search text box.
A list of Business Analyst products will be shown under the Products heading.
- Look for ArcGIS Business Analyst Desktop with 2018 U.S. Data and ensure the version is 10.6.1. Click View Downloads.
- Within the Download Components tab, click Data and Content to expand the list of files.
For the 2018 US Data Update there will be six files. Each will need to be downloaded to a folder on your local drive.
- Beside the first file, #1 ArcGIS Business Analyst Server 2018 Data (U.S.A.), Click Download.
The Download Manager window is launched.
- Click Click to download your file now.
Note:Depending on your browser you may be prompted to select a location to where you want the file downloaded.
- Repeat the process for the remaining five files.
For the 2018 US Data Update there will be six files downloaded to a folder on your local drive. They are as follows:
- Right click ESRI_BA_2018_US_Data_Update.7z.001 and click 7-Zip > Extract Here.
You will only need to extract from the first compressed file (ESRI_BA_2018_US_Data_Update.7z.001). The extraction process automatically extracts and reassembles Files 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, and 006 to create a full 2018 Data Update setup. Do not attempt to extract Files 002, 003, 004, 005, or 006.
Once the files are extracted you will have a folder called ESRI_BA_2018_US_Data_Update that will contain a setup installer and all accompanying files.
- Run the setup installer from ESRI_BA_2018_US_Data_Update folder to install the data components and three MXDs (2018 Business Analyst, 2018 Business Analyst Web and 2018 Business Analyst Fast Map). As you click through the install process you will be presented with
two installation options:
- Typical - This is the default installation, which will automatically load all Business Analyst data components to your local hard drive to a default location, C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2018\Data
- Custom - The Custom option is recommended for users with limited disk space on the local hard drive where ArcGIS Desktop is located or for those who do not need to install all the data components. This option allows you to select which data components you wish to install and where you want to install them. You can also choose to not install any data components, and run Business Analyst from the USB media or from a network location.
The following is a list of Business Analyst components and their approximate sizes:
Streets Data Fast Map
Geocoding Data for ArcGIS Pro
ZIP4 Geocoding Data
Installing from a thumb drive
If installing directly from a USB drive you will follow the directions above - starting from step 7.
Alternative installation method for Windows 10 users
Windows 10 users experiencing intermittent installation issues may employ an alternative approach to installing the 2018 Demographic Data update. This method uses Command Line and requires a few additional steps of set up but will complete the installation more quickly than the standard process.
To employ this process, please follow the steps below:
- Create a new folder on your C: Drive titled 2018_Data.
- Download the data to this folder and unzip.
- Ensure that your C: Drive contains a Temp folder. This folder is where the log file will be created and stored. If there is no Temp folder here you will need to create one.
- In the Search Windows search box, enter Command Prompt or cmd.
The search box is located on the far left side of the task bar.
- Right-click on Command Prompt in the results list and select Run as administrator.
The Administrator: Command Prompt window is launched.
- Enter the following command:
start /wait msiexec /i "C:\2018_Data\Unpacked\setup.msi" /qn /norestart /Lv C:\Temp\datalog.log
This command will be installing the full 75 Gb of data and therefore may run for several hours.
- Click Enter to initiate the installation process.
When the processes are finished, the Business Analyst MXDs will be added to your Desktop.